Monday, October 24, 2016

"Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life"

Hi Y'all!

I'm new to the blogging world, so you'll have to bear with me!

I'll start off by sharing a little about myself, why I'm here, and why you're reading this. I grew up in a small town in Northern California where I spent my childhood exploring outside and getting into mischief, like a child should.  I was lucky enough to find my husband at the young age of 19 and had the sense at that time to lock him down.  We've been happily married for almost 8 years and he truly is my rock.  Together, we made two beautiful little girls and I added "mom" to my list of aliases; they are my world - sun, moon and stars. I am a dreamer, I'm adventurous, I like to take risks and have always loved to be creative and hands-on, which some people say is due to me being a south-paw.

My dad is a home builder and growing up, I loved to look at blue prints, hang out on the job sites, and watch an idea turn from just a concept to an actual home. He taught me that if you work hard, anything is possible. This is where it all started...

When I was younger, which seems like a lifetime ago now (cheers to getting old!!) I worked as a design assistant at a local graphic/interior design firm; I realized I was happiest working in a position that allowed me a creative outlet; there's something so rewarding about putting your ideas to paper and turning it into something tangible that you can look at and be proud of. 

During my employment there, I obtained my Real Estate License and intended to work as a salesperson.  This choice regrettably coincided the market crash and that thought, along with the design firm, abruptly ended. Shortly thereafter, I accepted a position with the court that offered stability and benefits, both valuable when raising a family. I now work as a clerk in a courtroom dealing with abused and neglected children, which as you can imagine, comes with a great deal of stress and offers little fulfillment for my creative brain. I enjoy the work I do, but it's definitely not one of the career choices I had in mind when I was a kid, although I'm not sure a swim teacher would have accomplished that either! :) 

Once we bought our first home, I became obsessed with all things interior design. I would lie awake at night dreaming of the endless possibilities of paint colors, design themes, accessories, and so on. We designed and built (by "we" I mean- I designed and dad built) our first house earlier this year, which was so much fun! Our budget was small, so it had its challenges, but I'd do it ten times over if I could. That's how you know I'm crazy!!





Our New House!

My passion for interior design hasn't dimmed, in fact, it's burning like a fire inside of me. When we built our house, I wasn't limited to pick only things that were neutral for the purposes of resale, I was able to take creative license and do whatever my little heart desired (with the exception of my husband's poo-pooing). This is the catalyst that led to this here blog. 


So now, I'm going to follow my heart and take a leap of faith, because that's the only thing I can think of to do. I'm going to dream big, cross my fingers, hold by breath, close my eyes and jump in hopes of landing somewhere great. I'm going to make a choice to follow my passion. I know there will be challenges, I know it won't be easy, I'm okay with that- I'm not much for taking the easy road. I hope you'll follow me on this magical journey, or epic failure, and see where this road leads. 

 "Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life" 

- Confucius

xoxo

Lisa




No comments:

Post a Comment