Sunday, October 30, 2016

Sunday Vibes

Sunday vibes...

Despite the beam of sunshine lighting up my bedroom this morning and forcing me out of bed, it turned out to be a dreary, cloudy, wet, cold Sunday. The wind is blowing, it's chilly outside, and the rain is pouring- we've got that sideways rain, the upside-down rain, even hail.  It's just one of those days where you don't want to leave the house, but that wasn't an option. So I drank my coffee, put on my rain boots, threw my hair in a messy bun, and braved the sheeting rain. 

Luckily we were able to get our errands done in record time because all I could think about was getting home, lounging on the sofa in my comfy, warm pants and putting in some work on the 'ol webpage.  The kids on the other hand, they had other plans.

They're become quite good in the kitchen and Skye wanted to make her snickerdoodle cookies (she’s kind of famous for them now, they’re that good) for her class party tomorrow.  Even though I just cleaned the kitchen and knew it would look like some sort of warfare took place in there by the time they were done, I let go of my OCD and told them to have at it (I’m pretty proud of myself for that, if you couldn’t tell. Haha!). 

After about 30 minutes of climbing on counters and searching in cupboards, they had everything they needed to begin their cookie-making mission, and they did just that.  Unfortunately, it wasn't until I "taste-tested" the finished batter that I realized something had gone terribly awry.  As it turns out, I had two containers of Crisco in the cupboard, and the one Skye grabbed had expired in 2011.  Two things: 1) shortening is perishable (not gonna lie, I kinda figured that stuff was like twinkles and would last through the zombie apocalypse)  2) Apparently I didn’t check expiration dates when I packed up my kitchen, paid storage fees and moved that stuff not once, but twice.  

Anywhoooo... 5 cups of flour, 3 cups of sugar, 4 eggs and everything else went in the garbage and if it were up to me, there would be no cookies for the party tomorrow, but those girls were having none of that non-sense; they had already put in too much work to come out empty-handed!  They started over and made this entire batch by themselves, which I was pretty proud of since they had already spent so much time on the batch that went in the trash.  And, in case you were wondering, it looked like a class of pre-school kids had a food fight in here- there is literally flour and sugar e v e r y w h e r e.  But that's okay, because this is the first time they've ever made something from start to finish all by themselves!




If these little morsels make it through the night, it'll be a miracle!  This is by far, without a doubt, THE BEST snickerdoodle recipe ever made!!!

The World's Best Snickerdoodle Cookies:   yields about 48

Ingredients:
1 c.       Butter
1 c.       Shortening
3 c.       Sugar
4           Eggs
4 tsp.    Vanilla
5 1/2 c. Flour
4 tsp.    Baking Powder
2 tsp.    Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt

Topping:
4 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon

Baking Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Cream the butter, shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla.  Blend in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Shape spoonfuls of dough into rounded balls.  Mix the leftover sugar and cinnamon.  Roll the balls of dough in the cinnamon/sugar mix.  Place on a baking sheet 2 inches apart.  Bake for 10 minutes.

I hope you all had a nice, relaxing weekend!

xoxo

Lisa



No comments:

Post a Comment